We are so excited that it’s almost the 4th of July ! Time has FLOWN by this year, and we can’t believe it’s almost halfway over !
4th of July is only three weeks away, and you know what that means…. fireworks, BBQ’s, boating, parades, and FUN ! We can’t wait to see some of our favorite teams, studios, and athletes participate in parades and show off their new teams for the first time this season !
This year, when celebrating the 4th of July, don’t forget to keep safety in mind. Accidents can happen, and are sure to ruin a good time. Here are a few ways to prevent fire & water related accidents, and stay safe this holiday.
While participating in parades and outdoor activities:
- Don’t forget to wear sunscreen. It should have a sun protection (SPF) of 30 and say "broad-spectrum" , which means it protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Put it on at least 15 minutes before sun exposure. Re-apply sunscreen every 80 minutes or more often if swimming or sweating.
- Wear sunglasses and/or a hat to protect your eyes and scalp.
- Check your sunscreen’s expiration date, as most sunscreens expire within 3 years of purchase.
- Drink water regularly to keep yourself hydrated.
While playing with fireworks:
- Don’t point sparklers or fireworks at yourself or others.
- Never allow young children to handle sparklers or fireworks.
- Always keep water nearby in case of emergency ( a hose or bucket full of water) as well as a fire extinguisher.
- Pay attention to your surroundings when lighting sparklers or fireworks, to make sure the area is fire safe and flame resistant.
While participating in Water activities :
- Always use life preservers on boat rides
- Make water safety rules for yourself & your family before boating or playing in the water.
- Always keep a first aid kit handy.
- Don’t forget to wear and re-apply sunscreen.
- Make sure anyone who can not swim independently has a chaperone while swimming.
- Do not grill in an enclosed area such as a garage, or under/near any flammable surface
- Keep the grill at least two feet away from buildings & trees
- Make sure you grill on a flat surface
- Check the gas hose for leaks before your first BBQ of the season
- Be careful with your choice of clothing, so that drawstrings, sleeves, etc. do not dangle over the grill
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy
If you follow these tips and tricks, you are sure to have a GREAT 4th of July !! If you’re celebrating the holiday in GlitterStarz gear, don’t forget to tag us on Instagram and Facebook ! :)